FORUM IN VITRO

Micropropagation of carnivorous plants

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:52

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Medium for nepenthes
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 16:56 
Hello

What medium do you use for nepenthes?

I actually use 30% MS, but results are quite poor.... I want to try knudsen C [finally i will have chemicals to mix it, i was waiting for stupid (NH4)2SO4 for so long time..... Syntheis is easy, but price of it is so low so i was too lazy...]

For multiplification i use 2mg 6-BAP, but respond is not that what i want- forming of big bud with offshots from it.....

Rooting for nepenthes is not needed, but one-medium-cycle with activated charocal will prevent so often offshooting.... What concentration of activated charocal is usually used? 20g/l?

Regards

Post subject: Re: Medium for nepenthes
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 19:03 
There is NO universal medium for nepenthes. Nepenthes are very wide genus with different nutrient requirements. You must try different media with different concentrations for individual specie/clone.
Some like 1/3MS some like 1/2WPM and the others Knudson C ( original formulation 1946 ), Anderson Rhododendron. The best method is to prepare your own media from chemicals and change the concentrations and observe their growth. But this can take around 2-4 months to test one medium on one plant.
Most people simply use 1/2MS for sowing seeds and are surprised why their seedling slowly dying.MS have very big amount of NH4.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 20:32 
I know- i also made this mistake :D . If i remember well You wrote me about high toxicity of ammonium for nepenthes.

I'm chemist and i'm in this comfort situation that i can mix medium with any composition i want.

I heard that orchid- medias with blends of peptides/aminoacids like peptone are very good for nepenthes- has anybody tested it before?

Oryginal formulation of Knudsen C doesn't include EDTA/other chelating agent. "pure" Fe^2+ and phosphates in one solutions makes iron very slightly absorbed due to practically insoluble phosphate. Do you add complexed iron, or free FeSO4/(NH4)2Fe(SO4)2 ?

P.S This boards is only one board "pure" about TC, i hope that it will develop well ;)

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 07:44 
I have tried only some orchid media like OspEx,Orchimax,N1, Knudson C Morel modification , but they were too strong in the full concentration for nepenthes. I have not tried to dilute them.
But yes, the proteins/amino acids are benefical ( they mostly replace the toxic NH4 - reduced nitrogen source ).
But i dont use them.

For all media i am using MS vitamins and 1/2MS microelements with chelated iron.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 20:26 
I just put my first Nepenthes seeds into cultures about a month ago. I can see some germination taking place right now and I plan on replating them soon to try to put them on better media. They are all currently on 1/2 MS with vitamins.
Milos Sula wrote:
There is NO universal medium for nepenthes. Nepenthes are very wide genus with different nutrient requirements. You must try different media with different concentrations for individual specie/clone.
Do you have any kind of list developed (or know of one) that maps species of Nepenthes to the type of media they grow best on?

I have purchase MS, Knudson C and WPM to try in various concentrations, but I was wondering if there was documented a place to start to save me from some of the trial and error.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 13:06 
I am sorry, but i dont have such table. Some species have very wide distribution ( n.maxima,n.sanguinea ) and require different media/dilution.
You can find table for n.truncata here: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/ar ... p51_55.pdf

If you are not sure sow the seeds or replate the plant to diluted media for example 1/3 WPM or 1/2-1/3 KC + 1/2MS macro + MS vitamins

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 15:29 
Thanks for the link to that PDF Milos. I've actually read that one before. It sounds like KC is the best medium for N. truncata. I wish there were similar tables for all species of Nepenthes, but that would be a ton of work to just give away I guess.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 23:53 
Hi all,

I tested with 1/3 MS and the results were good, but the plants grow so slowly ... does anyone have achieved better results in other media?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 06:54 
You can also try WPM, Knduson C or VW. This depend on specie.
Then you can improve the medium by adding small amount of BAP,Kinetin, potato extract,coconut water,casein,glutamine,adenine or charcoal this will improve the growth.
And dont use PPM.